Litigation guardian sparks belated inquiry

  • Suspended in 2018: Alfred Maybury, the director of the Department of Child and Family Services (File photograph)

    Suspended in 2018: Alfred Maybury, the director of the Department of Child and Family Services (File photograph)


An at-risk teenager’s allegations that he suffered physical abuse at the hands of a male employee at a boys’ home were investigated only after his litigation guardian read his file.

An inquiry into the abuse claims at the Devonshire home was launched last summer by the former ministry of social development and sport after whistleblower Tiffanne Thomas, an independent social worker acting as a court-appointed spokesman for the boy, raised concerns about four Department of Child and Family Services staff members accused of the mistreatment of children in care.

The investigation also looked into whether Alfred Maybury, the director of the DCFS, ignored the accusations made against the four employees.

A separate inquiry was conducted by the Department of Internal Audit into allegations that Mr Maybury had failed to follow financial instructions.

Mr Maybury was suspended in August 2018 and returned in January this year after the Government announced that a “thorough investigation” had found the claims against him were “not substantiated”.

The Royal Gazette revealed that two of the DCFS staff members were disciplined after allegations of abuse and neglect against them were “substantiated”.

Neither employee was reported to the police and a statement from a government spokeswoman suggested they were allowed to return to work with vulnerable children, although under supervision.

The findings on the other two DCFS employees, one of whom is understood to be the male employee accused of mistreatment of the boy, have not been made public.

The Government has refused to release the results of its two inquiries in response to a public access to information request.

The rejection of the requests is being reviewed by the Information Commissioner’s Office.

Saul Dismont, the lawyer for the boy whose allegations were uncovered by Ms Thomas, referred to as “BC” to protect his identity, said he was never interviewed by investigators.

Mr Dismont added that he was aware of five other children who had made complaints about department staff.

He said: “I’m not aware of any of those children having been spoken to or interviewed.”

A spokeswoman for the Ministry of Legal Affairs, now responsible for the DCFS after a Cabinet shuffle late last year, insisted a “full and thorough investigation was carried out”, but declined to discuss if any children were interviewed.

The launch of last summer’s inquiry was first reported by the Politica news website.

You must be registered or signed-in to post comment or to vote.

Published Dec 13, 2019 at 8:00 am (Updated Dec 13, 2019 at 11:56 am)

Litigation guardian sparks belated inquiry

What you
Need to
Know
1. For a smooth experience with our commenting system we recommend that you use Internet Explorer 10 or higher, Firefox or Chrome Browsers. Additionally please clear both your browser's cache and cookies - How do I clear my cache and cookies?
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service
7. To report breaches of the Terms of Service use the flag icon

  • Take Our Poll

    • Do you think the Government has taken the necessary steps to protect the public against the risk of the Covid-19 virus?
    • Yes
    • 55%
    • No
    • 45%
    • Total Votes: 5216
    • Poll Archive

    Today's Obituaries

    eMoo Posts