Three more arrested in shootings probes
Three more men have been arrested in connection with a string of gun incidents this week, police said yesterday.
Commissioner of Police Stephen Corbishley added that more arrests are expected.
Mr Corbishley said: “So far, we have four persons in custody that we believe are directly involved in the shootings.
“There are other arrests planned which will take place over the next 24 to 48 hours.
“This is a very dynamic investigation where new information is coming to us all the time.”
Mr Corbishley did not reveal the ages of the three arrested, but said they were “young men”.
He added that police had also seized “several” mobile phones.
Mr Corbishley said: “We believe that those contain evidence related to this.
“That kind of material will be absolutely essential to understand where people are, where they’ve been, and what communication has taken place.”
He was speaking after four gun incidents took place in the space of 24 hours on Monday.
Superintendent Nicholas Pedro announced on Thursday that a 17-year-old male had been arrested in connection with the daylight shooting of a 26-year-old man in Devonshire on Monday.
The victim was shot several times near a bus stop on North Shore Road, between the junctions with Dock Hill and The Glebe Road, at about 2.30pm.
It is understood that the man was hit in both arms and both legs after two men on a motorcycle drove up and opened fire.
Two other firearms incidents took place in the Khyber Heights Road area of Warwick on Monday night, as well as an incident in the Morgan’s Road area earlier that day.
Mr Corbishley thanked the public for the information they had provided to investigators.
He said: “When we go into communities, people are worried about saying something.
“They know what’s happened, they don’t want it to happen, in fact they’re sick of it happening, but they’re afraid.”
Mr Corbishley said that people could trust police to keep tip-offs confidential.
He added: “We will not expose their identity, we will make sure they are looked after.”
Mr Corbishley said that his officers would not rest until everyone involved in the incidents was in custody.
He added: “I do want people who are committing these offences to be afraid and actually to be worried.
“Because, if they choose to act in this way, if they choose that life, then the Bermuda Police Service will deal with them, and there’s likely to be only one place they end up.”
Disgraced ministers quit Cabinet
Caines regrets ‘significant distraction’
Island opportunity as wealthy flee cities
Senior, 95, survives coronavirus
It has come to this: no more party favours
Health ministry talks down false positives
Island could be hub for cargo planes
Suspected drink-driver in head-on crash
Cabinet ministers flout Covid-19 guidelines
Government urged to renegotiate Caroline Bay
Meeting on the future of hotel industry
Delivering midwifery to women of the world
OBA wants resignations over Blu affair
MPs approve new rules for casino fees
Take Our Poll