Log In

Reset Password

Lemay apologises over toddler accident

Police Commissioner Jean-Jacques Lemay yesterday apologised to mother Angela Dill as his officers began investigating an accident which put her three-year-old daughter into hospital ten days ago.

Mr. Lemay visited Derik Dill at her hospital bed -- where she has been since she was badly injured after being in collision with a taxi in Shelly Bay Park.

Police initially said they could not do anything about the accident because it had not occurred on a highway and was on private property.

But Chief Insp. Roseanda Jones said yesterday that Police now believed the incident had occurred on a highway and that following an investigation, offences under the Road Traffic Act could be considered.

Meanwhile, the driver of the taxi, Eugene Bean, admitted his taxi had been in collision with the child, but said he had no intention of getting in touch with the Dill family.

"I'm not going to do all that there. They have all my numbers,'' Mr. Bean said on Tuesday night. "It wasn't my fault, I hit something and it was the child, she had ran in front of my cab.

"Parents need to watch their children better.'' Derik, who is trying to recover from major surgery and wounding, was yesterday put on another regimen of antibiotics, after doctors found another infection.

Mr. Lemay visited Ms Dill as she sat by her daughter's bedside at King Edward VII Memorial Hospital.

He apologised for the way Police mishandled the incident and extended well wishes for baby Derik.

Ms Dill last night said the Commissioner's move was reassuring. "I feel better to know that they are doing something about it now.'' she said. "I am just sorry that I had to go through all of this before they did anything.'' In a statement yesterday, Chief Insp. Jones said: "After careful research and consultation, we are now satisfied that this accident actually occurred on a highway as defined by the Road Traffic Act.'' But she cautioned: "At this time it may be a bit premature to say that the driver will be prosecuted, however following this investigation offences under the Road Traffic Act may be considered.'' Police officers who attended the scene of the August 22 accident told the Dill family that no further action could be taken as the accident had taken place on private property.

Ms Dill contended that argument querying how a Government playground could be regarded as private property. And she further pointed out that the area where the accident took place was clearly sign posted as restricted to emergency vehicles.

Police made no reports to the media of the serious accident which sees baby Derik still hospitalised after major surgery.

Mother of three, Ms Dill has had to re-arrange her life to be at her daughter's side. With a six month old baby and a split shift job, she admitted it has been difficult.

But it wasn't until she probed what was happening and insisted on filing a report, that police followed up on the case.

And it wasn't until media reports of the incident that police changed their tune.

Lemay apologises over accident Meanwhile The Royal Gazette spoke to Mr. Bean who admitted he ran over baby Derik.

He admitted that he has not called to find out how Derik is and felt that he should "not have to go through all those kinds of changes.'' "I gave them my name my address all my numbers and no-one has called me.'' he said.

"I don't know those people and I asked someone and they said they've never heard of them. And the Police said there is nothing more.'' The greatest love of all: Angela Dill with her daughter Derik, 3, who has been in in hospital since the child was in collision with a cab 11 days ago.

ACCIDENT AC CRIME CRM