Log In

Reset Password

Attempted murder trial starts

Senior Crown counsel Brian Calhoun, outlining the prosecution case, alleged that before midnight on April 14,

underway yesterday.

Senior Crown counsel Brian Calhoun, outlining the prosecution case, alleged that before midnight on April 14, Daffyd Henry Smith and his wife Julia Lopez Fernandez had retired to bed after shutting and locking all the windows and doors of their home on Second Avenue, Pembroke.

Between 4.30 and 4.50 a.m. on April 15, Mr. Smith heard a noise coming from upstairs. He went up to investigate and found an intruder.

Mr. Calhoun said the intruder demanded money, warning Mr. Smith he had a knife.

The Crown claims the intruder advanced towards Mr. Smith, forcing him to pick up a chair as a shield.

In a fight that followed, both fell out a door that Mrs. Fernandez had just opened. Mr. Calhoun said Smith realised then that he had been wounded and was losing blood. Mrs. Fernandez also noticed that she had cuts and bruises.

At this time the intruder ran off, Mr. Calhoun told the jury.

He said neighbours responded to the shouts of the victims, calling the police and an ambulance.

The intruder is alleged to have taken an oven mitt, a wine bottle, but no cash.

David Anthony Eugene Dill, 30, of no fixed abode, and represented by lawyer Julian Hall, denies the charge of attempted murder, and also charges of assault with intent to rob, burglary, unlawful wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm, unlawful wounding, stealing in a dwelling house and causing bodily fear, and stealing a motorcycle registered AE735, owned by Phillip Taylor.

Witness Detective Constable Terrence Maxwell said he found Dill under bags of dirty laundry two days after the incident in the home of Troy Trott at Cottage Hill Road, Bailey's Bay. He was hiding in a closet.

But defence lawyer Mr. Hall took issue with the warrant police used when they found Dill.