Prison officers becoming frustrated
rape investigation involving three of their colleagues.
The Prison Officers Association has become frustrated with the length of time the inquiry is taking and want to see some closure to the probe.
And if things do not start to move, then officers could decide to stage a sick-out or work-to-rule.
They are upset that the investigation has not been resolved -- whilst the three officers remain suspended from duty and two of those are on Police bail for another month.
The anger has been heightened after the 19-year-old British girl who made the claims returned to Britain to finish her sentence in a London prison.
She alleged that she had been raped by two officers whilst at the Co-ed Facility.
Prison Officers Association chairman Lynn Hall said the length of time the probe was taking was pathetic.
"The members are extremely aggravated and frustrated at the time this is taking. They have become scapegoats for something that should have been resolved by now,'' Mr. Hall told The Royal Gazette .
"They need to get on with this investigation, get it completed and get some closure one way or another.'' And Mr. Hall said an association meeting scheduled before the end of the month could see a vote on possible measures to bring the frustration to the attention of officials.
"Of course the members want to do something about it. These things could happen to anybody,'' he said. "We could certainly see some sort of industrial action.'' The three officers are expected to remain off duty on full pay until any criminal investigation is complete.
Mr. Hall accompanied two of the three officers yesterday as Police extended their bail for another month.
And a Police spokesman said the matter was still under active investigation and there was nothing more to add.
The officers are reluctant to take any action, but feel enough has not been done to speed up the inquiry.
"Perhaps we need an eye opener,'' said Mr. Hall. "Enough is enough. We have so many other pressing issues. I am trying to avoid any disruption.'' Commissioner of Prisons Edward Dyer said he was in the same situation as the prison officers and was waiting on news from the Police.
"I have received nothing to suggest changing this suspension at this time,'' he said.
"They will remain off duty until the Police investigation is complete. I might not like the time it is taking, but I don't manage the Police department.'' He added that it was thought necessary at the time of the allegations to suspend the officers and until Police deemed no further action was required, the men would stay off work.
"If there is no action, they will come back,'' Mr. Dyer noted.
Deputy Governor Tim Gurney said his department was still keeping a watching brief.
"At the moment it is down to the Police and Attorney General's Chambers to deem what further action is necessary,'' Mr. Gurney said.
The 19-year-old female prisoner at the centre of the claims was serving a six-year sentence imposed in 1997 for smuggling $66,000 worth of heroin into Bermuda.
SEARCH CALLED OFF RES NJ Search called off A sea search by the US Coastguard for a missing yacht off the coast of Bermuda has been called off -- after the vessel arrived safely on the Island yesterday.
The alarm was raised last Thursday after the steel hull blue and white sloop Misty , which set sail from Point Judith, Rhode Island the previous week, failed to arrive in Bermuda.
