Log In

Reset Password

Mother and calf in danger

rough seas prevented them reaching the mother and young calf.And they are not used to fending for themselves and fish stocks are slim.

rough seas prevented them reaching the mother and young calf.

And they are not used to fending for themselves and fish stocks are slim.

The animals escaped from their pen, on the South Shore in Southampton, on Monday when high tides from Hurricane Gert overcame their pen.

All four had been spotted throughout yesterday, moving between the calm deep waters of Church Bay and Elbow Beach to the east.

At 5.30 p.m. yesterday male adult Gibbs and female adult Dobber were fed prime quality fish off the Southampton Princess site while the mother Cirrus and her calf were unreachable in stormy waters near Sonesta Beach.

Dolphin Quest owner Dr. Rae Stone said: "We made contact with all four and we would appeal for the public not to approach them as it could cause serious harm though we are still grateful when they call with sightings..

"We don't know if it's possible to get them in tomorrow and I can't speculate on how it would be done. We will try to make contact and assess the situation.

"When we got out yesterday visibility was poor -- there was still a small craft warning.'' Worried members of the public kept up a shore-side vigil throughout yesterday and hundreds called in with sightings of the stranded animals.

Dr. Rae Stone said: "Our staff were out as soon as daybreak trying to maintain visual contact with them.

"We will do the best we can for these animals at this difficult time.'' On Monday afternoon bystanders had watched in horror as the dolphins had been clattered for hours by loose debris as the storm hit their small cage before the swell allowed them to head for open water.

Two of four dolphins at sea were fed The four had been given 30 pounds of fish before they broke free.

Dr. Stone said: "They seem normal and happy. The calf's mother is an open ocean trained animal and the others have been out there a number of times.

"They are not sticking together but they are in acoustical contact. It's like a family not being in the same room but being in the same house.'' Dolphin Quest's Tim Hasselbring said the public had responded well to an appeal to call in with information.

Environmentalist Graeme Outerbridge slammed Dolphin Quest for allowing the animals to be lost.

But he stopped short of calling for a public boycott of the firm who are based at the Southampton Princess beach.

He said: "There should be an inquiry into this by the Environment Minister.

"Dolphin Quest failed in their contingency plans. I feel strongly that the dolphins were abandoned.

"Dolphin Quest has to look at the running of their operation.''