Log In

Reset Password

Minister promises to get to grips with Island trash

Government is taking a "pro-active'' approach to improving how the Island's waste is managed in the 21st Century.

And Government will also create a digital map to pinpoint where trash is found each time to help form an action plan to deal with the issue in the future.

This was the word from Works and Engineering Minister Alex Scott and Environment Minister Arthur Hodgson, who made an inspection of the airport dumping facility yesterday morning.

The statement comes following accusations from Opposition MP Gary Pitman that Mr. Scott was being "complacent'' for dismissing fears of floating junk in Castle Harbour as a minor problem.

And in a story in last Saturday's edition of The Royal Gazette Mr. Pitman called on Mr. Scott to "take a look at the situation first hand''.

But yesterday's tour of the airport facility was a clear move by Government to disperse any fears that they were taking a "laid back'' approach to the problems.

Mr. Scott said: "I would not say that we're being complacent at all and neither are we completely satisfied with the way things are done here. But I do maintain confidence in this facility's value to Bermuda.'' The concerns of the Environment Ministry were centred around a number of issues, including the way that disposed-of materials can affect the eco-system of the harbour negatively.

But the main reason for the visit was to reassure the public of the Ministry's concern with the fact that debris was being allowed to disperse across Castle Harbour.

"Obviously if there was a high wind then the problem of trash escaping from the sea surface barriers around the site would be much worse,'' Mr. Hodgson said.

"And, unfortunately, the men here only have one boat with which to go out and search for escaped trash in the harbour.

"We're hoping that, in the future, there could be more boats used for the purpose. As a result, trips out to find debris could be more and more frequent.'' Asked to describe his approach to waste problems in the future, Mr. Hodgson said: "We're trying to be as pro-active as possible but we're also hoping that the public will come forward with suggestions about how they would like to see things done. We're all in this together.'' Mr. Scott said a representative of the Ministry visited the facility every day to inspect how things were being done and, sometimes, talked with the contractors in charge, Hunt Sanitation Services, to see how things could be done more efficiently.

Mr. Scott explained that the photograph of floating trash in The Royal Gazette last week had showed an "accumulation'' of debris that had escaped from the site over a matter of weeks.

He said: "It was in the process of being collected when it was reported.'' But Mr. Scott said he was hoping to work in cooperation with Hunt Sanitation to "make sure that the water is policed more closely than it is now''.

He added that the problem clearly was not as bad as it could be because "we haven't received any complaints from any of the land-owners in the Tucker's Town area''.

Mr. Scott emphasised that the problems of waste management at the site were "well worth it'' when compared with the value of having a few acres of reclaimed land at Government's disposal.

He said one way this could be used was in the eventual expansion of the airport facilities.

"However, for now, this land will be used as a buffer-zone between the sea and the airport in case of a massive storm surge in a hurricane.'' On his relationship with Government, owner of Hunt Sanitation Services, Nelson Hunt said: "We work together well on a professional level. While we don't always agree, I'm always willing to listen to what the inspectors have to say and try to make this place even better.

"I would like to stress that the public can come down here just about anytime to drop garbage off.