Mix-up causes confusion at Arraignments
Few defendants showed up for court at to the June arraignments session of Supreme Court due to scheduling mix-up.
Yesterday Chief Justice Richard Ground said the wrong date had been Officially Gazetted — June 4 — rather than the correct date of June 1. Because of the mix up, the Chief Justice said that those defendants that failed to show up to yesterday’s session would not be penalised and another session would take place on Monday.
Despite the mix up, four young men charged with being involved in a fight on March 11 did appear in Supreme Court.
Jahki Dillas, 21, of Railway Trail, Riviera Southampton, Dejean Clinard Smith, 23, of Spring Hill, Warwick, Quann-Marley Derrick Lowe, 20, of Sunny Side Park, Southampton and Maurico Mario Atkins, 20, of Scenic Heights Pass, Southampton were charged with causing grievous bodily harm to another man and being involved in an “affray”.
Dillas was also charged with possessing a bladed article on March 11. The men denied all of the charges and will appear before the court again at the July arraignment session.
