Precision back on the job after Cox ends union row
Most construction workers with Precision/Somers joint venture were back on the job yesterday after a three-day work stoppage protesting the firing of several of their colleagues.
The company has said the men were ousted for walking off the job during an important concrete pour, but the firings came only a few days after the men had handed in a letter asking for union recognition.
Precision workers went on strike over the issue last week and hundreds of Bermuda Industrial Union members staged a march through Hamilton on Tuesday as Home Affairs Minister Paula Cox referred the dispute to an arbitration tribunal under the Trade Disputes Act.
The march and a general membership meeting at BIU headquarters brought many Goverment services to a standstill and caused the closure of Hamilton Docks.
Company spokesman Roger Russell was unable to say exactly how many men showed up to work yesterday but said the company was "very happy with the turnout'' and that the supervisor at the site felt "everyone was in a pretty good mood''.
Mr. Russell claimed not to know if any of the sacked men were among those who went to work and he could not say if the company had any policy that would prevent them.
"I honestly don't know who showed up, when the supervisor told me that men were coming in we were so happy I didn't bother asking just who had come,'' he said.
BUSINESS BUC
