BLMC rebuts claims of sudden eviction from Marginal Wharf
A land development company hit back against claims that tenants of an East End space set to become a grocery store and warehouse were suddenly advised to leave.
Andrew Dias, chief executive of the Bermuda Land Management Corporation, said his company met with tenants of Marginal Wharf as far back as June 18 to alert them to looming development plans.
He emphasised that tenants were even warned from the start of their lease and reminded continuously afterwards.
Mr Dias said: “When the current leases were originally issued, it was made very clear that Marginal Wharf was a development site and that the land needed to remain available for future development.
“This was specifically why the tenancies were offered on a monthly basis, rather than longer-term leases.
“The tenants understood and agreed to this arrangement when they took up their respective premises.”
The manager added: “BLMC fully understands that relocating established businesses can present challenges, particularly for operations such as boat storage, boatyard activities and construction storage.
“We are not seeking to create unnecessary hardship and remain open to working with tenants on a case-by-case basis.
“However, it is important to distinguish between the tenants being given no warning and the current situation.
“The development use of the site was known when the monthly leases were entered into, the tenants were reminded of the plans at the June meeting and BLMC has expressly offered to discuss individual circumstances and potential additional time.”
Mr Dias was speaking after several tenants were warned on Tuesday that they had six weeks to vacate the premises.
One source told The Royal Gazette that the timing of the letters made it incredibly difficult to find an alternative space.
However, Mr Dias said the monthly lease meant the corporation was required to give a minimum of one month’s notice.
He added that the BLMC nonetheless invited tenants to contact them if they needed additional time and would do “everything reasonably possible” to accommodate them.
Mr Dias said: “At that stage, we were not working to a fixed development timetable and therefore believed there could potentially be an opportunity to accommodate some tenants for up to an additional six months, depending on the circumstances and the progress of the development.”
He emphasised: “We wanted to approach the matter constructively rather than simply issuing notices and requiring everyone to leave within one month.
“The tenants have therefore had approximately two months since the June meeting to consider alternative arrangements and the notices issued provide a further six weeks before the required vacation date at the end of September.”
Mr Dias said that two tenants had approached the BLMC to request more time. He said the BLMC was working with them and was “very willing” to assist others who needed help.
One man who spoke to The Royal Gazette previously said the warning felt hollow as there had been plenty of others made in the past, only to then be dropped.
He explained: “We sort of knew something about it a year in advance, but didn’t think it would take place because we had so many promises over the years of companies taking over but nothing happens.”
In 2004, businesses were told to move out of Marginal Wharf for an affordable housing project that ultimately did not continue on the site.
Several other projects had been suggested, though no significant projects took off.
The man added: “The main thing that we are most worried about is, are they going to do what they did before — make everybody go and nothing happens. We lose what we lose and they eventually can tear down the buildings.”
