Log In

Reset Password

Labour strife strikes ferries and airport

Marine and Ports workers are geared for strike action after talks failed to resolve a conflict over the removal of a ferryman.

Meanwhile a Government Labour Relations officer attempted, but failed, to mediate an end to the dispute.

Government may now put the matter to arbitration to stem off strike action on November 9.

It is understood the worker was paid off after a series of complaints from the public over his rudeness, lateness and drunkenness on the Paget/Warwick ferry route.

But it's thought the Bermuda Industrial Union claim procedures were not followed. They gave the official 21 days' notice necessary for strike action in an essential service on October 21.

Labour woes hit ferries, airport Marine and Ports Director Ron Ross confirmed the strike notice had been served and said he was still working with the Labour Relations Officer to resolve the matter. He refused further comment.

On another labour front however, the dock workers dispute appears to be over.

Workers are expected to return today after walking out on Monday after a manager was sacked for threatening a worker with a knife.

It's thought to be the first time that BIU workers have ever struck in support of someone who was not a member of their union.

The Government Labour Relations Officer was called in to mediate and both men have been suspended pending an inquiry into the row. A management team loaded the Oleander after around 60 employees downed tools.

Both unions and management were tightlipped about the affair, with management refusing to comment and the BIU failing to return calls.

However Stevedoring Services President Michael Lohan took the opportunity to deny rumours that there was a massive build-up of cargo on the docks.

He said: "A backlog existed for a number of weeks but was reduced to two containers as of Friday afternoon and we expect it to return to normal over the next few days.'' And at the airport, around ten workers are expected to turn up to the courier facility after a mystery two-day sick-out which has baffled both unions and management.

Collector of Customs Bill LeDrew said he was no nearer to finding out what caused the action, but he expected them back today after pointing out workers must provide a doctor's certificate if they are off for more than two days.

He said he could only speculate about what the action was about.

He said there had been a meeting last week about working accommodation but he had gained the impression that workers were satisfied with plans to improve conditions after the recent move into the freight shed.

And BPSA General Secretary Ed Ball said he still didn't know why his members were on strike.

He said: "Nobody has said anything. It's the craziest of situations.'' Shadow Labour Minister Michael Dunkley said: "I am very concerned about the state of labour relations in Bermuda.

"The fundamental Bermudian way of life is for people to get along and provide a service.

"How can we support sick-outs when the employer or union doesn't know what's going on? It's no way to move forward.''