Tyler Christopher extends flawless professional record
Tyler Christopher extended his unblemished professional record after securing a unanimous points victory against Britain’s Carl Turney at Villa Park in Birmingham, England, on Saturday.
The Bermudian southpaw dominated the four round middleweight bout, held at the home of Premier League outfit Aston Villa, on the way to improving his professional record to a perfect 3-0.
“It’s was another learning fight; I was dominant throughout,” Christopher told The Royal Gazette.
“A bit too dominant as I put my opponent into a defensive state, where he was trying to survive inside of the fight. He got a point deduction for excessive holding in the fourth round when I started to pick up the pace.
“But what I learnt from this fight is to allow my opponent a false sense of confidence, that way there’s an opportunity to counter on an opening.
“Being too dominate won me the fight, but I was looking for a stoppage.”
Despite being forced to move up weight class to fight the orthodox Turney, Christopher still managed to get the job done comfortably.
“I’m supposed to be fighting at welterweight,” he added. “But it was made a middleweight fight because my opponent came in at 158.”
The 25-year-old has made a seamless transition to the professional ranks after compiling a 9-3 record as an amateur.
He signed a professional contract with manager Jon Pegg in August 2021 and fights out of the D & A Boxing School of Excellence Centre in Stirchley, Birmingham, under the guidance of trainer Anthony Hull.
After a lengthy delay brought on by the global coronavirus pandemic, Christopher made the perfect start to his professional career with a unanimous points win over Britian’s Josh Hodgins in a four-round super-welterweight bout at the H Suite in Edgbaston last October.
He then built upon that solid foundation the following month with another points decision over Mohamed Husain in a super welterweight bout also at Villa Park in his second appearance as professional.
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service