Town & Country gushes about Bermuda
Bermuda is featured in another Top Ten list, this time: 10 Reasons Bermuda Is the Ultimate Island Destination, the article just published Tuesday in the Leisure section of Town & Country magazine.
“From its jaw-dropping scuba diving sites to pro golf courses, Bermuda serves up unique thrills for every type of traveller,” the article gushes.
The 10 reasons?:
1. Its weather is ideal year round.
2. The pink sand beaches are real.
3. There's nowhere better to pick up a pair of shorts.
4. The island is a sailor's paradise.
5. You can get a massage in an underground cave.
6. The fish sandwiches are a cut above the rest.
7. There are more golf courses here than anywhere.
8. It's the shipwreck capital of the Atlantic Ocean.
9. A world-class chef can make you dinner on a private island.
10. The rum cocktails are legendary.
It is surprising, however, that the Bermuda Tourism Authority does not check the editorial copy to ensure the paid-for script at least puts the island in the right part of the globe.
In the very first paragraph, we are told that Bermuda has island neighbours, written one would assume, by someone who believes Bermuda is in the Caribbean.
The offending statement: “If you're looking for a tropical vacation that doesn't need to (be) planned around hurricane season, your search is over. Unlike its island neighbours, the average September temperature here is a balmy 84 degrees, and you can count on plenty of sunshine, clear blue skies, and gentle trade winds any time of year. Essentially, perfection.“
The beaches are promoted, Horseshoe Bay is highlighted, golf is noted and diving and dining are also put forward.
Town & Country is a 175-year-old magazine with nearly half a million subscribers, and is one title of the Hearst magazine empire.