Man admits sexual offences against young girls
A Pembroke man who repeatedly molested two young girls has been jailed pending sentencing.
Andwele White, 36, is also facing trial in Magistrates’ Court for an alleged third matter.
Brought before Magistrate Khamisi Tokunbo, White pleaded guilty touching a girl younger than 14 for sexual purposes between January 1 and December 31, 2011.
According to Crown counsel Karen King, White groped the girl while she was sleeping. She later told her mother White had “poked and messed around with her”, and her mother subsequently reported the matter to police.
Mr Tokunbo then put charges to White for a separate matter, entailing seven counts of sexual exploitation against another girl under 14 years old.
Between January 1, 1999, and December 31, 2004, White admitted using his hand to make the youngster touch his penis for a sexual purpose. He also admitted two other offences involving the girl.
Ms King told the court that the girl in the second matter didn’t initially report what had happened.
She was “a quiet child who found talking about it hard”, Ms King said. She eventually shared her experiences with a youth counsellor, became able to discuss the matters, and wrote them down in a journal, which was later found by her mother. After talking about the events with her daughter, the mother reported the matter to police.
White was arrested, but denied sexually abusing his victim and received police bail. However, on January 4 of this year, he was formally charged with the offences.
White also has a previous conviction for unlawful carnal knowledge.
Mr Tokunbo said the accused had done the right thing by pleading guilty and sparing his victims from going through a trial.
White was remanded and will be sentenced next month.
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service