Mother-of-two guilty of shoplifting
Sticking to an improbable story for shoplifting $20 of cosmetics resulted in a court date for a 23-year-old mother of two.
Senior Magistrate Archibald Warner told Donita Smith he had been willing to dismiss her case with a conditional discharge.
Instead, he set a sentencing date in Magistrates’ Court.
Smith initially denied taking two tubes of lip gloss from the Phoenix store on March 26. The court heard she was seen placing the items up her jacket sleeve before making other purchases and leaving with them hidden in the jacket. Stopped by security, she was recorded as saying “I’m sorry I did that — I’m so embarrassed.”
Questioned by Mr Warner, she said she had been distracted by her cell phone, then told the court her jacket had been oversized and long sleeved.
Calling the story “foolishness”, Mr Warner said: “She has shown no remorse, she has lied — I’m going to record a conviction against her.”
Smith then pleaded guilty. She was granted $1,000 bail and given a May 30 sentencing date.
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service