Man who attacked woman jailed for a year
A 47-year-old man has been sentenced to a year in prison for attacking a woman outside of her home.
Wayman Cariah, of Sandys, had previously pleaded guilty to causing Crystal Burrows grievous bodily harm in an incident in Sandys on February 9.
In a witness impact statement read out in Magistrates' Court this morning, Ms Burrows said the attack took her by surprise.
She suffered a broken nose as well as bruising and cuts to her head after Cariah punched her twice in the face and then kicked her repeatedly as she lay on the ground.
In court, Cariah said he was sorry for his actions towards Ms Burrows and the courts.
Magistrate Khamisi Tokunbo said: “I don't know that you are sorry. This was an unprovoked attack on a female — a violent attack.
“You have a history of violence or threatening violence and now it has peaked.”
Mr Tokunbo sentenced Cariah to 12 months' imprisonment.
Because Cariah has been in custody since February, the time he has already served will be taken into account.
The prison sentence is to be followed by 18 months' probation during which Cariah is to adhere to all the recommendations identified in the pre-sentencing reports.
• It is The Royal Gazette's policy not to allow comments on stories regarding criminal court cases. As we are legally liable for any slanderous or defamatory comments made on our website, this move is for our protection as well as that of our readers.
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service