Woman admits assault on fellow teacher
A 41-year-old teacher has been given a conditional discharge for assaulting her colleague.
Shanika Parfitt, of St George's, pleaded guilty in Magistrates' Court this morning to unlawfully assaulting Sarah Robinson on May 27.
The court heard that police attended East End Primary School after they received a report of two teachers fighting.
Prosecutor Carrington Mahoney said it was Ms Robinson's responsibility to nominate children for awards and that Parfitt became upset when her daughter was excluded.
Mr Mahoney said Parfitt grabbed Ms Robinson's arm, pushed her and blocked a door so she could not leave.
The complainant suffered swelling, bruising and tenderness to her body as a result of the assault.
Parfitt was arrested and admitted common assault during a caution interview.
In court today, Parfitt told magistrate Archibald Warner that she had been disciplined by the Ministry of Education.
She said she was suspended from her job until the end of term and took part in an anger management programme for ten weeks.
Parfitt, who has about 15 years of teaching experience, added that she requested a transfer to another school, which has been granted.
Mr Warner said: “This seemed to be a scuffle and pushing situation in the circumstances described.
“This was an altercation which it seemed flowed from a disagreement involving the defendant's daughter.”
Mr Warner noted that Parfitt had been “punished internally” through the Ministry of Education.
“As a result of that she has been treated for what was responsible for this behaviour by way of anger management,” he said.
“In the circumstances, I see no need to record a criminal conviction against this defendant.”
Mr Warner handed Parfitt a 12-month conditional discharge.
• It is The Royal Gazette's policy not to allow comments on stories regarding criminal court cases. As we are legally liable for any slanderous or defamatory comments made on our website, this move is for our protection as well as that of our readers.
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service