Government MP in court over large group dinner last year – The Royal Gazette | Bermuda News, Business, Sports, Events, & Community

Log In

Reset Password
BERMUDA | RSS PODCAST

Government MP in court over large group dinner last year

Court date: Zane DeSilva, the former Minister of Tourism and Transport (File photograph)

A Government MP and his daughter appeared in Supreme Court yesterday charged with misleading a public official over a dinner at a restaurant last year.

It is alleged Zane DeSilva, his daughter Zara Harper, and a third defendant, Angela Caldwell provided a letter to the official that said that an event would be a charity fundraising dinner so they would be given a Covid-19 safety regulations exemption to hold a large group gathering.

Puisne Judge Charles-Etta Simmons ordered the three to appear again on June 23 when they may have to enter pleas.

Kamal Worrell, a lawyer charged with murder, was also up for mention in the virtual sitting of the court.

Mr Worrell is charged with the killing of Chavelle Dillon-Burgess on an unknown date between April 10 and June 11 last year.

He also faces a charge of wounding Ms Dillon-Burgess and seven counts of assault on her.

Mr Worrell did not attend the session, but was represented by attorney Elizabeth Christopher.

The case was adjourned until next month’s arraignments session.

A former commanding officer of the Royal Bermuda Regiment was also in court with two co-defendants.

Lieutenant-Colonel David Curley, now retired, Gareath Adderley, a former Commissioner of St John Ambulance, and Christopher Clarke, an ex-police inspector, all face charges of corruption.

A fourth defendant, Justin Williams, a lawyer, is understood to be in the US.

Colonel Curley is alleged to have asked for a nomination for the Queen’s Certificate and Badge of Honour so that he could arrange to have Mr Williams appointed as legal adviser to the RBR.

Mr Williams is alleged to have procured a Medal of the Order of St John for Colonel Curley in 2015 in exchange for a firearm.

Mr Williams is also alleged, with Mr Clarke and Mr Adderley, to have offered a bribe to Michael Mello in exchange for compounding an offence.

Yanique Gardener Brown, for the Crown, said that more time was needed for prosecutors to complete disclosure.

The case was adjourned until June 15.

•It is The Royal Gazette’s policy not to allow comments on stories regarding criminal court cases. This is to prevent any statements being published that may jeopardise the outcome of that case.