Rawlins fills his boots in friendly
Delray Rawlins struck a half-century as the Sussex second XIs piled on the runs during the first innings of their three-day friendly against Derbyshire at the Blackstone Academy Ground.
The Bermudian all-rounder gathered 78 from 110 balls in 112 minutes that included 11 and a six as Sussex scored 382 all out after being sent to bat.
Rawlins led a middle-order fightback after his team slipped to 58 for three in the fifteenth over.
The left-hander shared in a 132-run fourth-wicket stand with G.H.S. Garton, who added 45 from 72 balls, steadying the ship to lay the foundation for Sussex's massive total.
Both batsmen were dismissed in the space of nine runs.
However, J.W. Jenner scored 67 from 69 balls and tailender A Sakande 66 from 109 lower down the order to keep the scoreboard ticking over.
Rawlins reached his fifty off 63 balls in 55 minutes.
H Qadri led the Derbyshire attack with four for 93, while three bowlers claimed two wickets each.
Derbyshire replied to the Sussex total with 275 for eight declared, with A.R.I. Umeed leading the chase with an unbeaten 128 from 186 balls in 245 minutes.
Will Beer was the pick of the Sussex bowling with two for 17. Sakande took two for 64 and Rawlins, blowing at third change, claimed one for 67 with his left-arm spin.
Sussex were 50 without loss in their second innings, an overall lead of 157, at the conclusion of the third day of four, with H.D. Ward unbeaten on 32 and J.H. Ludlow on ten.
Rawlins is due to come in again at No 4.
The former St George's Cup Match player featured for Sussex Sharks during the Vitality Blast Twenty20 Finals Day at Edgbaston last weekend.
He scored 18 with a six and two fours in the Sharks' 35-run win over Somerset in the semi-final and 21 from 16 balls in a five-wicket defeat by Worcestershire Rapids in the final.
Rawlins, who celebrated his 21st birthday the day before the matches played in front of 25,000 spectators, is the first Bermudian to play in a major cricket final in England.
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service