Sussex hopes rest on Pujara and Rawlins in first innings fightback against Worcestershire
Delray Rawlins is on four not out as Sussex closed out the second day of their LV=County Championship Division Two match with Worcestershire 169 for five in reply to 491 all out posted by their hosts.
According to the report on the Sussex website, Rawlins “showed brilliant concentration and mental strength to prevent any further wickets from falling” as he stayed to the end with No 3 batsman Chesteshwar Pujara who is leading Sussex’s first innings hopes with 85 not out from 157 balls. Sussex still trail Worcestershire by 322 runs with two days remaining.
Rawlins faced 19 balls in 21 minutes at the crease as he and Pujara saw the visitors to the close of play, with much work still to be done in tomorrow’s third day.
Pujara, an Indian Test batsman, found support hard to come by earlier as the hosts took control with Joe Leach picking up three wickets in the space of just seven balls late in the final session.
Rawlins helped put up some late resistance after Sussex lost three wickets on 155 in the space of just two overs to be 155 for five when Rawlins came in.
Leach, who took the new ball, has four for 56 from 13 overs.
In the Worcestershire total of 491, Brett D’Oliveira made a top score of 169 not out from 16 fours and one six off 333 balls during 464 minutes at the crease.
Rawlins claimed one wicket off 20 overs in the Worcestershire innings, giving up 77 runs. He had No 9 batsman Josh Baker caught for 43 after facing 65 balls.
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service