Police appeal over social media images of men with guns
A “disturbing” image of two men with firearms has been circulated on social media, police said last night.
The image is believed to have been taken outside a private home.
Acting Superintendent Peter Stableford said: “The image is extremely concerning and potentially represents a serious risk to the personal safety of persons potentially being targeted by those observed in the video images.”
Mr Stableford said an investigation had been launched “to identify the individuals and to prevent any further escalation”.
Mr Stableford appealed to the public not to circulate the image as it could spread fear among the public and hinder the police inquiry.
He said: “Although the BPS are encouraging persons to desist from sharing the footage any further, we are seeking assistance from those persons who have actually viewed the image and can provide any specific information, whether or not you believe it to be significant.”
Anyone with information that could assist police should call 211, the serious crime unit on 247 1439, or Mr Stableford on 717 2286.
Information can also be passed on through the confidential and anonymous Crime Stoppers hotline on 800 8477.
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service