Oliveira places eighth at Green Mountain
Matthew Oliveira won his final stage race for Hot Tubes at the Green Mountain Stage Race in Vermont.
The 18-year-old, who started racing for Hot Tubes — a top junior cycling team in the United States — last summer, finished the overall competition in eighth in a time of 6hr 49min 5sec. He also claimed the green sprinter's jersey during the four-day event, which finished on Monday.
Magnus Sheffield, Oliveira's team-mate, was the overall winner in 6:46:37.
Oliveira finished the race on a high by winning the fourth and final stage in 41:45, 14 seconds ahead of second-place Sheffield.
The Bermudian, who is starting his first year at Loughborough University, placed tenth in stage one in 15:06:67, 43rd in stage two in 2:52:58 and seventeenth in stage three in 2:59:39.
Oliveira competed at the XL Catlin Junior Caribbean Cycling Championships in Bermuda last month, winning the road race.
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service