VT Construction dominate road race season opener
The Bermuda Bicycle Association road race season kicked off with the VT Construction race covering a seven-mile loop through Smiths and Hamilton Parishes, today.
The new three race categories started with the Open category, covering six laps (42 miles), followed by the Citizen, and the Women’s, both covering four laps (28 miles).
After completing the first lap together, the women’s race split with VT Construction’s Ashley Couper, Maddie Durkin and Charlotte Millington developing a lead, chased hard by Bicycle Works’ Jennifer Lightbourne and Bermuda Junior Cycling’s Annabelle Miller.
The women of VT Construction worked together to stretch the lead across the remaining laps, with Millington taking the win, crossing the finish line at the top of St. Mark’s Road, with Durkin second and Couper completing the podium.
The Citizen race saw a larger group, containing both youth and experienced riders, stay in contention until into the final mile, with the more experienced Ricky Smith of Winners Edge winning the uphill sprint for the line, edging out the two youngsters, Jake Smith of BRCC, and Jackson Langley, who rounded out the top three.
The Open race saw a steady start with the majority of the field staying together through the first few laps before Winners Edge Tracey Wright injected some pace into proceedings.
This eventually sparked a split in the field with Tommy Marshal, Steve Millington, Cameron Morris, Chris Nusum and Grant Goudge gaining a gap on the chasing pack.
VT Construction’s Millington made the decisive move going over St. Mark’s Road as the lead group started the final lap.
He stretched his lead whilst the others looked for each other to take responsibility for the chase. Millington completed the final lap alone, winning by a minute while his team mate, Morris, was able to save his legs during the last lap and take second in the sprint finish, despite some technical difficulties, with Marshal of Winners Edge taking third.
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service