Principal move is good for all
The Ministry of Education yesterday stressed a proposed shake-up of principals aims to improve the quality of teaching across the public school system.
Parents at Victor Scott Primary School have warned marches could take place in opposition to the switch of principal Valerie Williams to East End Primary at the start of the next school year; three other principals are also set to move schools.
The Ministry said in a statement: “While it is sensitive to the concerns raised by parents of schools affected by the transfer of principals and appreciates their passion and energy, the Ministry has spent this past year identifying the system’s needs and are now acting to ensure that the quality of teaching and learning is raised across the board in all of our schools.”
Under the shake-up, East End principal Idonia Beckles will move to TN Tatem Middle School; TN Tatem principal Francine McMahon will move to Purvis Primary School; and Purvis principal Judith Alexander will move to Victor Scott.
Victor Scott parents held an angry meeting on Wednesday night and say they are collaborating with teachers from TN Tatem over a wider protest.
They say the Ministry is trying to fix a problem that doesn’t exist and complain they have been left out of the decision-making protest.
But the Ministry said yesterday the decision was made in line with its collective bargaining agreement with the Association of School Principals: the four principals involved were advised in December 2011, before Minister Dame Jennifer Smith announced the move on March 16.
The transfers will help student achievement, distribute talent equally across schools and help teachers to grow professionally, said the Ministry.
It stated: “The Ministry remains focused on strengthening the public education system, and bold and strategic steps such as this transfer of principals will continue to ensure that all of our students are equipped and educated to meet the ever changing demands of a competitive global environment.”
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service