City seeks vivid artwork to liven up Hamilton
Local artists who want to make their mark and help liven up Hamilton now have the opportunity to do so.
The City of Hamilton has called on artists interested in creating an art installation for the city to send in a proposal for its public art initiative, VIVID.
According to the City: “VIVID aims to enliven various areas in the City of Hamilton by facilitating new public art installations that connect visitors and the local community to Bermuda art and culture.”
There are currently more than 20 pieces of public art around Hamilton, including murals, mosaics, and the Chancery Lane lights and artwork project.
According to the City of Hamilton, the designing of a large scale “BERMUDA” marquee sign was completed in 2021, as part of VIVID, and steps have been made for the “soon-to-be iconic sculpture” to go up in Hamilton this year.
The City’s Marketing Coordinator Sideya Dill said: “This year we are seeking local artists to submit proposals for the design and execution of large-scale street art or sculptures to appear in the City of Hamilton that will colour the City with Bermuda’s culture and rich heritage.
“The VIVID Public Art Initiative is committed to working with Bermuda’s local art organisations as well as independent artists to help curate and implement public art installations in the City of Hamilton, contributing to its mandate to be a vibrant city.
“Public art elevates the City of Hamilton to more than just a place of commerce and consumption; it allows an avenue for accessible engagement with the built environment and increases the social capital for our community.”
Interested artists can find more details about the scope of the project here. Details are also available at www.cityofhamilton.bm.
Proposals are due March 31 at 5pm. The contract(s) will be awarded to successful applicants on April 11.
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service