TikTok sensation Dylan Hollis puts his recipes down on paper
Bermuda’s own Dylan Hollis, a jazz musician and social-media star, has served up a book packed with the recipes that helped the online personality take the internet by storm.
Baking Yesteryear, published by Penguin Random House, emerged from the former Warwick Academy student’s exploration of bygone recipes during the doldrums of the Covid-19 lockdown in 2020. The recipes were always filmed with a Bermuda flag in the background.
The then-University of Wyoming student was furthering the same musical studies that got him profiled by The Royal Gazette back in 2012 when he described himself as “very much a lover of the early days”.
“I’m secretly convinced I was born in the wrong era,” Dylan, then 17, shared.
That same penchant for the past took him into vintage recipes for his online videos which, accompanied by jokes, proved a hit with viewers.
The book of recipes is subtitled “the best recipes from the 1900s to the 1980s”.
Highlights from antique cookbooks include 1900s cornflake macaroons, 1970s potato chip cookies and 1960s baloney cakes.
Recipes that emerged from the oven as failures are included for readers to “try if you dare”, the book warns.
The 101 recipes come with Mr Hollis’s trademark humour and “larger-than-life personality”, now enjoyed by millions across the platforms of TikTok, YouTube and Instagram.
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service