Log In

Reset Password

Investigation into illegal emu importation continues

Big bird: government is investigating reports of exotic birds imported to the island, including an emu, which reportedly hatched from one of three eggs and has reached a substantial size (File photograph)

Government authorities continue to investigate the importation of exotic animals after an emu was reportedly brought onto the island.

In response to queries, a spokeswoman for the Department of Environment and Natural Resources said investigators were examining a “range of possibilities” about how the birds entered the country.

She added: “As these matters are still being investigated, the department is gathering information to better understand the situation and any implications for Bermuda’s environment and animal health.

“For this reason, a temporary halt on the movement of birds has been implemented while investigations continue.”

She said that the department was working to gather all available information before making any determination about enforcement action in the case.

The spokeswoman added: “Once the facts have been established, the matter can be assessed to determine appropriate next steps.

“The importation of animals into Bermuda is subject to established requirements and approvals.

“Anyone seeking to import an animal should contact the DENR for guidance before making any arrangements.

“This ensures that the necessary environmental, animal health and biosecurity considerations can be properly assessed and that all applicable import requirements are met.”

The department announced on Monday that a “restriction of movement” order had been put into place by the Chief Veterinary Officer after DENR officers identified birds that appeared to have been brought to the island without required approvals, and whose origin and health status cannot be confirmed.

A spokesman specifically cited reports of an emu, a flightless Australian species which can reach more than 6ft in height.

While no evidence of a disease outbreak had been confirmed, the order was issued with the intention of preventing the spread of any illnesses while the situation is assessed.

Anyone who owns birds was asked to keep them securely housed where possible and to avoid moving birds between properties or giving them to others during the restriction period, which is expected to end on September 21.

Owners were further urged to prevent contact between pet or farm birds and wild birds, and to practise good hygiene when handling birds, their feed and their enclosures.

Bird illnesses and unusual deaths should also be reported to the department.

Royal Gazette has implemented platform upgrades, requiring users to utilize their Royal Gazette Account Login to comment on Disqus for enhanced security. To create an account, click here.

You must be Registered or to post comment or to vote.

Published August 20, 2026 at 3:34 pm (Updated August 20, 2026 at 3:34 pm)

Investigation into illegal emu importation continues

Users agree to adhere to our Online User Conduct for commenting and user who violate the Terms of Service will be banned.