Rivals set to battle it out for Champion of Champions title
Six of the island’s fastest harness ponies will battle for the coveted Champion of Champions title at the National Equestrian Centre this weekend.
All entries will compete in four heats spread across Saturday and Sunday with the winner to be determined by the fastest combined average time.
Simsfield Hardtimes (1:01/2) holds the season’s fastest time followed by War Machine (1:01/3), Double Time (1:02/2), Special Gold (1:02/2), Rockeyed Optimist (1:03/1) and Gold-N-Glory (1:03/1).
“The six entries who are racing it out for the title have put in fantastic efforts over the course of the season and, for the only time during the season, they will race one another over two consecutive days,” a Driving Horse and Pony Club of Bermuda spokesperson commented.
While gelding Simsfield Hardtimes is the firm favourite, owner Aaron Sims reckons the race for the title is wide open.
“Just because Hardtimes is winning races and is the fastest and most consistent horse on the track right now does not mean I am going to win Champion of Champions,” he said. “It’s all on the luck of the draw.”Despite missing a large part of the season, Special Gold’s owner Lee Raynor Jr is optimistic about his stallion’s chances of success going into the four-dash series.
“We have missed half of the season but I think we are in a pretty good place right now with the horse so hopefully things work out for us on the weekend,” he said.
Regular racing across the various divisions will also be held over the final two race days of the 2022-23 season.
“We are excited what performances are put in by all ponies on the track over the final two days of the season, including the Champion of Champions races,” the DHPC spokesperson said.
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service