Garden Club members make $10,000 donation to Carter House
One of Bermuda’s oldest farmhouses has been given a $10,000 cash boost thanks to the fundraising efforts by members of the Garden Club of Bermuda.
Carter House in St David’s was built in 1640 by descendants of Christopher Carter, one of the island’s first settlers.
The property is now a museum run by the St David’s Island Historical Society,
Garden Club members dressed in period costume and sold plants, crafts and gifts at a recent open house at the property.
The garden has been replanted with endemic and native trees and plants, as it once was, to complement the old house.
Two benches, two picnic tables and three olive wood trees were also donated, offering visitors a place to sit quietly and let history and nature speak to them.