Police complete investigation into deadly building explosion
An investigation into an explosion that claimed the lives of two people is complete, a police spokesman said.
Oscar and Jove Mascarinas died after the blast at an apartment block on Hilltop Court in Southampton about nine months ago.
A Bermuda Police Service spokesman said last week: “The investigation into this matter has been completed and a file submitted to the investigating officers' supervisors for review.”
Residents heard a “huge boom” when the explosion happened at about 8.50pm on May 2, 2022.
Police said at the time that, although it was early in the investigation, it appeared the blast was caused by a gas leak.
Mr Mascarinas and his wife were guest workers from the Philippines.
He was a popular and longstanding member of staff at Aberfeldy Nurseries in Paget.
Mr Mascarinas, 49, was known as a devoted parent who was in frequent contact with his children in the Philippines.
His wife’s work included child minding,
Mrs Mascarinas, 50, originally from the city of Baguio, on the northern Philippines island of Luzon, worked extensively overseas, caring for children in Hong Kong and Europe.
Three other people were injured in the blast, which collapsed part of the apartment block.
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service