Patrick Reed and Matthew Fitzpatrick among field confirmed for Butterfield Bermuda Championship
Defending champion Brian Gay, inaugural winner Brendon Todd, former US Ryder Cup player Patrick Reed and Europe Ryder Cup player Matthew Fitzpatrick are among the players confirmed for the Butterfield Bermuda Championship at Port Royal Golf Course from October 28 to 31.
As the stand-alone event for 2021, the increased field of 132 players, which also includes Will Zalatoris from the Top 50 in the world rankings, will be battling it out for 500 FedEx Cup points, awarded to the winner and a purse of $6.5 million.
Gay, from the United States, earned his fifth PGA Tour career victory at last year’s championship in a play-off against Wyndham Clark. It was his first win since 2013 and followed a tied third-place finish in the inaugural event. He advanced to the FedEx Cup play-offs for the fifth consecutive season and twelfth overall, ending the season at No 95 in the FedEx Cup standings.
“I was so happy and humbled to not only win, but to represent Bermuda,” said Gay. “The beauty of the island and the amazing spirit of the residents will always be special to me and my family.”
Compatriot Todd, is a three-time PGA Tour winner. He won in back-to-back starts in 2019 after his dominating Sunday performance in Bermuda put him back in the winner circle for the first time since 2014. Todd recorded three Top-ten finishes in 2021 and qualified for the FedEx Cup play-offs for the fourth time and second consecutive season, finishing the season No 101 in the FedEx Cup standings.
Reed, a nine-time PGA Tour champion, also from the US, won the 2021 Farmers Insurance Open in his 230th career start. This previous season he advanced to the Tour Championship for the eighth consecutive time and finished No 25 in the FedEx Cup standings.
He won the Masters in 2018 and has recorded 54 Top-ten career finishes. Reed was a member of the Presidents Cup team in 2015, 2017, and 2019, The Ryder Cup Team in 2014, 2016, and 2018, and competed in the Olympics in 2016 and 2020.
Fitzpatrick, from England, has seven international victories. He joined the PGA Tour in 2020 and recorded five top-tens in the 2021 season. He travels to Bermuda fresh off the back of winning the Andalucia Masters on the European Tour yesterday.
He qualified for the FedEx Cup play-offs for the second consecutive season and finished No 73 in the FedEx Cup standings. Fitzpatrick has 15 career top-ten finishes on the PGA Tour and competed for Europe in the Ryder Cup in 2016 and 2021.
Zalatoris has one Korn Ferry Tour victory at the 2020 TPC Colorado Championship at Heron Lakes. He earned PGA Tour Special Temporary Membership with his tied sixteenth-place finish in Bermuda last year and collected enough non-member FedEx Cup points to earn full-time membership for the 2021-22 season. Zalatoris has recorded eight top-ten finishes, highlighted by a runner-up finish at his first appearance at the Masters in 2021.
“We’re very excited about this year’s field,” said tournament director Justin Belanger. “The Butterfield Bermuda Championship continues to grow in popularity, especially with this year’s purse increase to $6.5 million and 500 FedEx Cup points awarded to the winner.
“Bermuda’s hospitality provides a great experience for our players, and we know fans have been eager to hear about who will be competing this year.”
• Tickets have sold out for the Butterfield Bermuda Championship’s Friday, Saturday and Sunday rounds, while fewer than 30 tickets remain for Thursday. Daily general admission is $35. Tickets will not be sold at the gate and are available only in advance through the Championship website. All spectators two years and older must have a ticket to access the grounds of Port Royal Golf Course. For an upgraded VIP experience, enjoy the Digicel Business Ocean Club. Overlooking Port Royal Golf Course’s signature 16th hole, hospitality tickets include all-inclusive beverage and light hors d’oeuvres. Less than 50 tickets remain per day, Thursday to Sunday. Contact Justin Belanger at firstname.lastname@example.org for details. For the latest Butterfield Bermuda Championship information, visit www.butterfieldbdachampionship.com
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service