Daniel Augustus secures top-ten finish at Torrey Pines
Daniel Augustus secured a top-ten finish on his debut at the APGA Farmers Insurance Invitational at Torrey Pines Golf Course in San Diego, California, on Sunday.
The Bermudian professional finished in a two-way tie for ninth at 14-over par among among the 18-strong field that competed over 36 holes.
Augustus began the final round at Torrey Pines’ South course tied for tenth, four shots off the lead after carding a five-over 77 in the first round on the North course the previous day and got off to the worst possible start on day two after making double bogey on the first hole.
Four bogeys either side of a birdie at the 4th saw Augustus make the turn at five over for the round, ten over for the tournament.
His struggles continued on the back nine as he carded five additional bogeys, including three in a row at holes 14 to 16 before signing off with a birdie at the last hole.
Augustus, who earned $1,200 for his efforts, finished tied with North Carolina resident Quinn Riley.
He qualified for the event through the Lexus Cup points list after achieving four top-five finishes on the APGA Tour last season, including second at the APGA Scottsdale and tied for second at the APGA Mastercard Tour Championship.
Overnight leader Marcus Byrd won the two-day tournament by three shots over nearest rival Joey Stills with Gregory Odom rounding off the top three a further shot back.
Byrd, who finished tied for second at the inaugural Butterfield Bermuda APGA Championship at Port Royal last October, carded a six over 141 to earn the $30,000 winner’s purse and exemption to next month’s PGA Tour Honda Classic at the PGA National Resort & Spa in Palm Beach Gardens, Florida.
The 24-year-old Georgia resident received a huge confidence boost in the lead-up to the event after being announced as the recipient of the Charlie Sifford Memorial Exemption to the 2023 Genesis Invitational by tournament host Tiger Woods.
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service