Four new cases of Covid-19, active cases now 13
Bermuda has recorded another four cases of Covid-19 from more than 5,000 tests received by the department of health this week.
One of the new cases was brought in by a resident on the BA flight from London on Thursday, June 17.
A second case is classified as local transmission through contact with a known case, while the remaining two new cases are under investigation.
The four positive results came from 5,335 tests conducted on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday of this week.
There are now 13 active cases on the island, with no recoveries recorded since the last update.
Of the active cases, five are in their 20s, one is aged 10-19, one is in their 30s, two are in their 40s, two are in their 50s and there is one each in their 60s and 70s.
The number of people now vaccinated against the disease has also increased – but only by a few percentage points.
Residents returning to Bermuda from overseas without a Travel Authorisation document will not have to pay a $1,000 fine – for now.
Government has backtracked on the policy after travellers reported problems trying to obtain the document before returning home.
A helpline was swamped with calls and there were also reports of computer glitches.
On Monday, David Burt, the premier, said the policy would be reviewed during Tuesday’s Cabinet meeting.
He suggested that the penalty could be shelved “while we work to ensure all travellers are familiar with the revised process”.
Tonight a Government spokeswoman confirmed that the fine had been dropped for the time being.
She said: “The $1,000 for travellers who do not complete the Travel Authorisation prior to arriving in Bermuda has been waived for the time being and the Cabinet will determine the date it will come into effect.”
As of last Saturday, June 19, 57.5 per cent of the population – around 36,800 people – had had two shots of the vaccine. That represents an increase of two per cent, or 1,300 people since the previous Saturday, June 12.
A further 6.8 per cent of the population – around 4,300 people – have received one dose of the vaccine.
Tonight Kim Wilson, the health minister, urged restaurants, bars and clubs to obtain contact details of all customers for contact tracing purposes.
She said: “While many restrictions have been relaxed since June 20, the requirement to obtain the contact details of patrons is critically important and continues unchanged.
“It is also important that these establishments remember that there is still the requirement for employees and patrons to wear masks indoors. With new cases under investigation in Bermuda, it is vital that all establishments keep in place the standard precautions to minimise local transmission of the Coronavirus.
“The public must have an accurate list of every guest at your events and gatherings, including yard and house parties.
“Guest lists should include the full name, e-mail address, phone number and both the date and time of arrival for everyone in attendance.
“It should also have table or seating assignment details and departure times, if possible. Private gatherings are encouraged to use SafeKey to minimise risk at these gatherings"
Ms Wilson issued the reminder after the Swizzle Inn in Hamilton Parish was forced to close after a staff member tested positive for Covid-19
She urged anyone who went to the restaurant between June 15 and yesterday to get tested.