Saltus classes hit after coronavirus cases detected
At least three classes at a private school were quarantined yesterday after a coronavirus outbreak.
A Year 3 and two Year 4 classes were ordered to isolate at Saltus and a Year 11 class was ordered to follow casual contact precautions.
Deryn Lavell, the Saltus head of school, highlighted the difficulty the news had caused in a letter to families.
She wrote: “I am so sorry that the Department of Health determined that your class had to quarantine.
“We were frustrated by this response too.”
Ms Lavell added that the department was asked why the classes had to quarantine and were told “it was considered an outbreak and therefore the class had to follow the health requirements for quarantine”.
She said: “We have provided feedback and concerns to the ministries of health and education with regards to the phases and the quarantines for schools …
“Although we are a private school, we are under the jurisdiction of the ministries of education and health and as such we are mandated to follow their requirements with Covid-19.”
The Year 11 class was told to stick to public health guidelines as posted online after a case connected to the class was detected.
James Anthony, the director of the senior school, said the Ministry of Health had been told.
But Mr Anthony added that the government’s school surveillance unit was having “a busy time” and the school was unsure how long it would take to get a response.
Casual contacts should be aware of symptoms of the illness and monitor their health under updated quarantine rules for schools.
Those affected will not need to restrict their movements.
Mr Anthony said anyone who developed symptoms should self-isolate and contact their doctor.
He added parents would be updated on the situation by the school surveillance unit.
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service