Second annual BBQ Throwdown to be held on Sunday
The summer may be nearing an end, but for a handful of cooks, the season really heats up on Sunday.
Selina’s restaurant will host its second annual BBQ Throwdown next to the Swing Bridge in St George’s, with local cooks taking to their grills with hopes of winning hundreds of dollars in prizes.
Restaurant owner Selina Minors said the event was inspired by feedback from a “Thank You” block party held to celebrate the restaurant’s 12 years serving the St George’s community.
“Not only did the community appreciate the event, they asked if we were going to have more events, and if so, can they help in anyway,” Ms Minors said. “There came the Throwdown.”
Around 250 people attended the event last year to see nine competitors take the challenge.
Spectators can attend the event for free, however competitors must pay a $15 entry fee to take part in the competition. The winner will take home $250, while second and third placed entrants will win $150 and $75 respectively, along with trophies.
Ms Minors said she hopes the event will send a positive message to the community
“Bermuda is changing, and we all must change with it, so by participating or being a spectator, we are showing ourselves and others we are doing positive things, whether barbecuing or supporting our families,” she said.
“We are one people. They say tourism is dead, but I say with events like this, we specialise in fun.”
Competing teams consist of a chef and an apprentice. Hair must be covered and the chefs must use aprons and gloves or else points will be deducted.
The competition begins at 1pm with a burger cook-off; cooks can start to set up as soon as 10am.
Entry forms can be collected at Selina’s Restaurant and 27th Century Boutique.