Race weekends show lack of sensitivity for churchgoing seniors
I am having difficulty formulating my thoughts about what I experienced earlier today (January 15, 2023). I don’t consider myself overly pessimistic or critical about our island. In fact, I love being a Bermudian and cherish the unique nuances that make our island a great place to live in. But today I was concerned about this particular situation.
Our island has an important history related to the Church and, at present, hundreds of Bermudians attend church every Sunday morning. Those of us who attend church do so because it has great meaning us. I am aware that not everyone holds our world view, but those of us who do hold our world view of faith hold it with pride and dignity.
We believe our prayers ascend to God’s throne in glory and that He hears and answers us. We believe that our God protects and provides for our island daily.
We still believe that righteousness exalts a nation and that sin is a reproach to any nation. Our choice to serve the Lord Jesus Christ is our conviction and adhering to the Great Commission is our conviction.
Today, my congregation was negatively impacted at the closure of our service when we attempted to go home. Many of the members of our church are seniors who have great agility and passion to serve the Lord. One loving senior couple, when driving home after service, were redirected to a tribe road they were not familiar with. By God’s grace, I was not too far behind them and had the ability to lead them through the tracks and back to familiar territory. What if I wasn’t near by? I don’t even want to imagine.
I think someone has to think more carefully about all Bermudians on these race weekends and be more empathetic to all, especially our seniors who have laid a solid foundation for our society
As I try to formulate my thoughts, I must ask the question: when is more sensitivity going to be shown to those of us who attend church on Sunday mornings on these race weekends.
Community Contact Ministry
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service