Skipper deserves better than this
My husband, Osensei Frederick “Skipper” Ingham, died on November 9 last year, aged 92. Several people felt he should have received a state funeral owing to his outstanding contribution to the development of karate in Bermuda over the past 52 years and I understand from Ras Mykkal that the Department of Education is preparing a documentary about him so that his memory will not be forgotten.
Yesterday (February 15, 2023), I received a letter dated January 10 asking me to pay the Government $124.33 for the six days to November 15 that he was overpaid by the Department of Social Insurance.
I am aware that the Government is hard up, but billing a surviving spouse seems incredibly callous in view of the large sum of money that has to be spent after a person dies and that a lot of companies owe bigger sums to Government.
So why isn’t a greater effort made to collect that?
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service