Log In

Reset Password

A vote for no one should count double

Independent candidate Sir John Swan greets constituents at the Smith’s North by-election (Photograph by Akil Simmons)

Dear Sir,

The voters have spoken in Constituency 10; however, it appears only 40 per cent of the electorate exercised its right to vote. Why did the other 60 per cent not exercise its constitutional rights? Are they disillusioned by the current system?

Maybe the time has come where the voice of the people could be heard by adding to the ballot paper one other option — “I am not voting for any of the candidates and do not agree with their policies”.

It would be interesting to see the percentage of voters who voted that way, whereby it would not be a spoilt ballot and counted as such.

It might send a clear message to the eventual winner of the election.



You must be Registered or to post comment or to vote.

Published June 10, 2024 at 7:58 am (Updated June 10, 2024 at 7:20 am)

A vote for no one should count double

What you
Need to
1. For a smooth experience with our commenting system we recommend that you use Internet Explorer 10 or higher, Firefox or Chrome Browsers. Additionally please clear both your browser's cache and cookies - How do I clear my cache and cookies?
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service
7. To report breaches of the Terms of Service use the flag icon