New airport contracts to create 64 new jobs
Four more Bermudian firms have won major contracts as part of the project to redevelop the LF Wade International Airport.
And eight more island companies have won smaller contracts to carry out work at the construction site.
Aecon Group, a partner in the redevelopment project, said the latest contracts awarded would create 64 jobs. The work is expected to take 40 months and be completed by 2020.
• Horsfield Landscape and Design, a landscape installer, will provide security fencing.
• D&J Construction Services, a full-service contractor and construction company, will do formwork, reinforcing steel placing, concrete placing and taxi work.
• SAL Trading Ltd, Bermuda’s largest supplier of concrete, lumber, steel, concrete block and many other construction materials and supplies, will supply concrete.
• Correia Construction Ltd will work with Benson Steel, a Canadian firm specialising in the design, supply and fabrication of structural steel, with the Bermudian subcontractor helping with the unloading, trucking and erection of the steel.
The eight local contractors appointed to carry out other work at the construction site are:
• Air-Pro: air conditioning
• Eminence Contractors: flooring
• Bermuda Security Services: locksmith
• P&M Electric: electrical work
• Kaissa: roofing
• Bermuda Elevators: elevator work
• Leggo Ltd: scaffolding
• Greymane: drywall
Frank Ross, Aecon’s executive director, infrastructure, said the contracts would create 64 new jobs and that he looked forward to working with the local firms.
“Their local knowledge and connections are a tremendous asset to the project and we look forward to working with them,” Mr Ross said.
This is the latest round of contracts to be awarded to local construction and supply companies, with six major contracts awarded in May of this year to Brunel, IAL, OBMI and Onsite Engineering. A further four contracts were previously announced in April, awarded to Bermuda-Caribbean Engineering Consultants, D&J Excavation, and Correia.
The redevelopment of L.F. Wade International Airport is being implemented under a Government-to-Government framework agreement between the Governments of Canada and Bermuda.
In terms of the agreement, Bermuda Skyport Corporation Ltd will oversee the overall development and implementation of the project, and the Canadian Commercial Corporation (CCC), through a subcontract to Aecon, will deliver the construction component of the project.
More updates about the L.F. Wade International Airport redevelopment project can be found on the Bermuda Government portal at www.gov.bm and on Facebook at www.facebook.com/BermudaSkyport