Bermuda Black Dollar page launched
A Bermudian woman has created an online platform to highlight and list businesses owned by people of colour.
Tanya Jones, who has a background in IT, saw a niche to start a Facebook page called The Bermuda Black Dollar.
“My friend from university, who works as an executive in the pharmaceutical industry overseas, was about to visit Bermuda but wanted to support black-owned businesses. She asked me if there is anywhere on the island that has a black business directory,” Ms Jones said.
This sparked Ms Jones' passion of supporting the businesses that are not often highlighted. Shortly after she decided to start the Facebook page.
Coming from a multiracial background, Ms Jones received backlash from peers in the non-black community.
“I am of Portuguese and West Indian descent, and some of my friends in the Portuguese community are offended by the Facebook page,” Ms Jones said.
“One of my friends asked me how would I feel if they had a Bermudian white dollar Facebook page and my simple reply is that the white dollar has already been established for centuries, so do not be offended if we want something of our own to promote.”
Ms Jones stressed that the Facebook page is not intended to offend anyone, just to highlight and promote these businesses.
“The goal of the Facebook page is to not just promote what is already there but to encourage others to create new businesses and build generational wealth for our community,” Ms Jones added.
The name Bermuda Black Dollar was created when Ms Jones saw another Facebook group called The Black Dollar so she decided to add Bermuda and use the name. “I found this name fascinating,” she said.
The symbol used for the Facebook page is an triangular gold coin which was minted by the Bermuda Monetary Authority.
“When I was working at BMA I became intrigued with this coin because the triangle shape to me represents the Bermuda Triangle,” Ms Jones said.
She mentioned through this Facebook page she would like to see more input from locals. “I want this to be an interactive and dynamic page on which others can post and share content and support each other.”
• For more information visit https://www.facebook.com/thebermudablackdollar/
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service