Chef Garzia offers cook-and-eat classes
Chef Jean-Claude Garzia is sharing some of his tips and cooking magic with hotel guests and locals, who join him for a few hours in the kitchen and then taste the results at the chef's table.
The monthly cooking class at Beau Rivage restaurant, part of the Newstead Belmont Hills resort in Paget, is proving popular. Mr Garzia said he is enjoying offering a hands-on experience to those interested in learning more about the culinary world.
He said that increasing numbers of guests at Newstead Belmont Hills, as well as locals, are asking about the cookery course — particularly during the winter months.
The four-hour experience culminates in an opportunity to sit at the chef's table and enjoy the meal and some wine.
“It's got to be fun, and it is helping to make the guests happy,” said Mr Garzia, who won the Best Chef of France title in 1996.
Hotel guest Cindi Hildreth, from Maryland, said: “I cannot say enough about it. There are tips he has taught us; we have learnt to make pasta. It's an opportunity of a lifetime.”
Kim Foy, of New York, described it as a fantastic opportunity and she would try out some of the things she has learnt when she returned home. She said Mr Garzia was “great, entertaining and patient”.
The cooking course is for small groups of up to 12 people.
Mr Garzia has lived in Bermuda for almost 40 years and has worked previously as a sous chef at Hamilton Princess, and executive chef at Cambridge Beaches. He took over the lease of Beau Rivage a decade ago, and also opened JC's Café in Hamilton last month.
• The Beau Rivage restaurant can be contacted on 232-8686 or by e-mail at email@example.com
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service