New options for rental cars
Current Vehicles, the electric rental car company, has launched a contactless on-demand, app-based vehicle-sharing service geared towards the local market.
The initiative allows renters to pick up a Twizy — or the operation’s new Citroën Ami — at any of 15 “homezones” located in Hamilton, Dockyard, St George, at a variety of hotels island-wide and the hospital.
Vehicles are located, reserved and unlocked by smartphone app.
Upon returning a vehicle to a homezone, renters end their booking by smartphone, which locks the vehicle and automatically generates a credit card charge.
Piers Carr, founder and chief executive officer of Current Vehicles, said: “We have been a predominantly tourism-centric business, but what Covid has taught us is how much demand there is among the local market for additional transportation options.”
The company has introduced off-peak rental rates of $4 an hour between 6pm and 8am for all renters. The standard rental rate between 8am and 6pm is $15 an hour.
That off-peak rate drops to $2 an hour for members of the locals-only subscription service, Current Club, which costs $100 a month.
Club members get a $25-a-month free driving credit when they sign up by using the promo code “staycurrent”.
Mr Carr said: “We are trying to encourage people to use our vehicles to commute.
“You are not bound by any contract. When you need a vehicle, it is there for you, and you can take one home.”
He added: “The service improves mobility for both locals and tourists.
“If a tourist wants to go for dinner at a restaurant, they can do so and end the trip when they get back to their hotel.
“They are not bound by a $100 charge, which they would if they had rented a vehicle for the whole day.”
Renters, who must be 21 or older and have a valid driver’s licence and a credit card, can download the Current Bermuda app to create an account with the company, or do so on the Current website at www.currentvehicles.com.
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service