Drive-through postponed, but tots will still get their toys
A drive-through event for families that was scheduled to take place this weekend has been postponed until next year.
It was part of the Toys for Tots campaign organised by the Coalition for the Protection of Children.
But Kelly Hunt, the charity’s executive director, said gifts will still be handed out before Christmas.
She explained: “For the past 18 years, the Toys for Tots initiative has been a resounding success in achieving its mission of ensuring that Bermuda’s children do not go without a gift during the holidays.
“Over the years, thousands of presents and gift cards have been donated by corporates, schools and generous individuals who support this drive.
“In partnership with HSBC, the Coalition for the Protection of Children has teamed up for its fourth season of giving in the wake of a pandemic that has left many local families in need of our help.”
Ms Hunt added: “In light of the current Covid landscape, the family drive-through event that was scheduled for Sunday, December 13 at CedarBridge Academy, has now been postponed until January 2021.
“With many families under quarantine, we do not want to encourage people to leave their homes, even with precautions in place.
“We will continue to work with our partners to ensure families receive food hampers, essential items and toys for the children prior to the holidays.”
She said that some goods will be delivered to people who are in quarantine and others will be collected.
Ms Hunt added: “On behalf of the families we serve, we would like to thank everyone who has supported this year’s holiday drive.
“The kindness of others is not only greatly appreciated by families who are struggling to make ends meet, but also speaks volumes about the spirit of giving here in Bermuda.”
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service