Bus service could restart on Thursday
The bus service could restart on Thursday, the Department of Public Transportation signalled tonight.
A spokesman said that the department would issue an update tomorrow.
He added: “The public is also advised that the Epidemiology and Surveillance Unit are finalising recommendations to DPT management, and the Occupational Safety and Health Committee to review and decide on the next steps.
“The Department of Health has completed a workplace risk assessment and the DPT management team is implementing a remedial action plan, including enhanced workplace protocols for distancing, hygiene, and mask-wearing – to prevent possible future disruptions of the bus service.”
The service was suspended last Friday after an employee tested positive for the coronavirus.
The spokesman said: “The DPT recognises the inconvenience to the travelling public.
“However, to ensure the health and safety of others, suspending the bus service remains the best course of action at this time.
Lawrence Scott, the transport minister, added: “As Bermuda experiences an increase in positive Covid-19 tests, we must all do our part as responsible citizens to prevent further spread of the virus in our community.”
“To that end, I am confident in the abilities of the Department of Public Transportation and the Ministry of Health teams, and I thank them as they go about executing their duties to ensure the bus service can safely resume.”
“I also want to remind and urge all public service vehicle operators and the general public to adhere to the guidance provided by the Ministry of Health to help keep everyone, especially those most vulnerable persons in our community, safe.”
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service