A period of reflection, apologies, support and tough love
Last week Friday during a brief speech in Parliament, I spoke on the issue of the deal to begin redeveloping the Fairmont Southampton hotel.
After more than two years of endless delays by one entity or another, there is now an agreement to redevelop the resort
As with all major redevelopments, this will provide nearly 650 jobs for skilled tradesmen and women, and millions of dollars in business for local suppliers.
Once the hotel is fully opened in 2023, there should be up to 800 jobs in the hospitality sector.
This is welcome news for the people of Bermuda and must be celebrated irrespective of one’s political leanings.
During my presentation, I used a phrase that the Speaker and many others took offence to. In retrospect, I fully accept that a different term should have been used to convey my point.
Sincere apologies to those I may have disappointed for the use of that term.
Let me take a moment to thank those, from all walks of life, who reached out to me via phone calls, WhatsApp and Facebook Messenger. Some gave support, some gave constructive criticism and others gave tough love.
What is most important is that no matter how they vote, they took the time to share their advice, colourful metaphors and tongue-lashings.
This speaks volumes as to who we are as a people, when we can be truly frank with each other.
Again, I say thank you for the guidance.
Essentially, my point was and remains that after multiple hitches here and there, for the past two years, all entities are finally on board with this project.
Equally important, as Bermudians, never let us be hesitant, whenever needed, to reach out to each other to give advice, support and tough love.
• Christopher Famous is the government MP for Devonshire East (Constituency 11). You can reach him on WhatsApp at 599-0901 or e-mail at email@example.com
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service