Log In

Reset Password

Plane remains on stand-by for Pinochet

A Chilean Air Force plane, thought to be standing by to pick up General Augusto Pinochet in the UK, remained grounded at the Airport for a second day yesterday.

And the local branch of Amnesty International revealed that they "are watching the situation closely''.

But spokesman Ayo Johnson added that any decision to take action would depend on the stance of Amnesty International's main secretariat in London.

Chilean military officials confirmed that the specially equipped Boeing 707 is putting off its departure from Bermuda pending a decision by the British government on whether to release Pinochet from house arrest and possible subsequent extradition to Spain.

The aircraft is carrying medical equipment and personnel, including 15 nurses and paramedics, to look after the ailing general on the long trip home.

It landed in Bermuda on Tuesday night and was scheduled to arrive at Brize Norton Air Force base in Oxfordshire, England on Wednesday afternoon. But the plane was still on the ground yesterday evening and a spokesman for Airport Operations said no flight plan had yet been filed.

The crew and passengers stayed at Grotto Bay Hotel on Tuesday night but moved to Clear View Guest House on Wednesday.

Calls to their room were blocked by a spokeswoman for the establishment, who said: "I have strict instructions that they don't want to be disturbed.'' Recent developments in the 15-month saga saw UK Home Secretary Jack Straw announce that medical tests had shown Pinochet to be "unfit'' to stand trial, a ruling which sparked off outcries by human rights organisations and countries, including Spain, Belgium and France, who want the general to be brought to justice for alleged human rights abuses stemming from the latter part of his 17-year military regime. More than 3,000 people died or disappeared during the dictatorship which lasted from 1973 until 1990.

Pinochet was arrested in Britain in October 1998 while there for medical treatment at the behest of Spanish judge Balthasar Garzon.

Since then he has been the subject of an international game of tug-of-war between his supporters and opponents in countries all over the world.

But Mr. Straw's announcement last week was based on medical results which were not released to the public.

And Amnesty International has called on the Home Secretary to show "evidence'' that Pinochet is in fact not healthy enough to handle a trial.

The group was just one of many organisations who sent in representations to the Home Office in the hope of swaying Mr. Straw in his decision.

But what he plans to do remains to be seen and millions on both sides of the Atlantic have been left to speculate as to what General Pinochet's immediate fate will be. A story by Reuters news agency quoted Chile's foreign minister Juan Gabriel Valdes as saying: "It seems probable to me that the decision will be soon.'' But it also said Britain's Home Office was not placing any limit on how long the decision would take to make.

"We're not putting a time on it,'' a spokesman said.

AIRPORT FLY