Dill found guilty of attempted murder
David Anthony Eugene Dill guilty of attempted murder.
Dill, 31, of no fixed abode, sat composed in the dock as the 11-woman, one-man jury took approximately one-and-a-half hours to find him guilty of the attempted murder of Dafyde Hermann Smith in the early hours of April 15 at his Second Avenue, Pembroke home.
He was also found guilty of the charges of unlawful wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm, unlawful wounding, stealing in a dwelling house with intent to cause bodily fear, and stealing a cycle registered AE735 belonging to Police Sgt. Philip Taylor.
Dill will return to court on December 16 for sentencing.
Mr. Smith, who was not in court yesterday and could not be reached for comment, was stabbed in his chest as he tried to fight off Dill who broke into his home in the early hours of the morning.
Earlier in the trial, the court heard that Mr. Smith was treated for life-threatening injuries.
The prosecution charged that witnesses had given enough evidence to convict Dill of the charges he faced and that he fit the description of the intruder.
But defence lawyer Julian Hall argued that there was no evidence to link his client to the incident and that testimony from Dill's childhood friend and Mr.
Smith's former neighbour, Leslie Wade, was suspect because of his previous criminal record.
Puisne Judge Charles-Etta Simmons, in directing the jury yesterday, asked them to use their common sense.
"I urge you to be true to your oath as jurors and to deliver a true verdict,'' she said. "You must be sure of the evidence before rendering a verdict.'' Mrs. Justice Simmons also cautioned the jury that in each charge, they were to be completely sure as to the identity of the defendant as to whether he was the intruder.
Lawyer Elizabeth Christopher, who was holding yesterday for Mr. Hall, said it was likely that Dill would appeal the verdict.
