Govt. prepares to end dispute on docks
Government may be preparing to step in to end the ongoing row on Hamilton Docks.
Labour and Home Affairs Minister Paula Cox is keeping a watching brief on the dispute, which last night showed no sign of being resolved, and indicated that it would not be allowed to drag on indefinitely.
Bermuda Industrial Union workers ordered an overtime ban last week, leaving the Oleander unloaded after it sailed in on Sunday afternoon, and creating a possible chaotic situation when 1,000 tonnes of electrical equipment arrives later in the week.
Meetings took place yesterday between Stevedoring Services and the BIU, with Labour Relations Officer Glenn Fubler acting as intermediary, but there was no outcome.
Ms Cox said she hoped both sides could come to a successful conclusion, but added that she would not allow the action -- which is over the unconcluded collective bargaining agreement -- to drag on.
"I would have to intervene if it was deadlocked,'' she said. "There seems to have been some progress.
"My next step is to evaluate the situation, if it is in the public interest make a decision. I am keeping a watching brief, if they don't seem to make any progress I may have to reassess.'' It is understood that the Minister wrote to the BIU, informing them that their overtime ban was in contravention of labour laws.
Ms. Cox confirmed she had been in communication with the union but said the letter was written in the expectation of seeing some movement.
Govt. set to settle dispute Yesterday, docks workers began unloading the Oleander , with importers being instrumental in taking goods off the docks.
The Belco shipment has been delayed slightly and is now expected to dock on Friday.
The Project Orient is bringing in new engines and generators, which Belco expected to unload and transport to their Serpentine Road headquarters over a three week period.
A meeting is scheduled between the company and Stevedoring Services today to discuss arrangements for moving the equipment.
A Belco spokesman said it was too early to say whether or not they would need contingency plans, adding that they would monitor the situation over the next few days.
Stevedoring Services president Michael Lohan could not be contacted for comment last night.
BIU president Derrick Burgess said the overtime ban was not illegal, adding that five days notice had been given on August 6.
In addition, he said the port workers division of the BIU had made the decision to impose the ban -- not the leadership.
And he laid the blame for the unresolved collective bargaining agreement at the door of Stevedoring Services, who he said had rejected what he described as a "reasonable proposal''.
"I am optimistic we will be able to work it out but it takes two to tango,'' he said.
