Log In

Reset Password

Marriott closure leaves staff facing an uncertain future

Marriott hotel staff have been reassured of 100 percent Government and union support as closure approaches for the resort.

And Bermudian workers, among the 450 at the hotel, were told they were at the front of the queue for jobs when the site closes its doors on Nov. 30.

But at a seminar yesterday designed to help workers through the redundancy and re-employment process, foreign staff expressed concern that they were being forgotten.

Many expatriate staff are facing an uncertain future at a traditionally quiet time of year in the hospitality industry, and some will lose their on-property homes when Marriott closes.

Room service supervisor Richard McKie said: "I live in the hotel and I don't know what is going to happen.

"Most people are relying on redundancy money, but that will go very quickly if you have got to find somewhere to live.

"Everything seems to be geared towards people staying on the Island, but locals have families to depend on, we don't.'' Mr. McKie, like many others, is trying to find work with other Marriott hotels but is finding the process slow. He faces the prospect of returning home to Scotland without a job.

Fellow worker Rizzitelli Giuseppe said Bermudian workers were more relaxed about the impending closure, whereas many of the 100 overseas staff were becoming increasingly worried about their futures.

He said normally during the winter people would take time off, but many would now spend the time looking for work.

Both were speaking at a workshop organised by Marriott and Government Training and Employment Services to help staff find new work, assess their prospects, or brush up their job-hunting skills.

Counsellors and advisors were on hand, and a list of hundreds of hospitality positions where work permits are due to expire at the end of this season was posted.

Marriott human resources director Lorrita Tucker-Simmons said their goal was to help all the staff, regardless of their status.

She said there was a huge level of insecurity amongst staff but they were encouraging all staff to look at their options.

The on-site accommodation was not due to close Nov. 30 and a decision on its future had yet to be made, she said.

She said some overseas postings were proving difficult as all Marriott hotels were run separately and were not used to hiring from other locations.

Acting Development and Opportunity Minister Dennis Lister told staff that an employment placement officer would be at the hotel each Friday from next week to assist them.

BIU hotel division president Herbie Bascome urged workers to take the opportunity to re-train in order to compete in a tough tourism industry.

Front desk advisor Khyjuan Landy, like many, said he was waiting until closer to November before searching in earnest for work.

But he said he had already decided that he was not going to work in another hotel, adding that there were few left on the Island for many workers to turn to.

Marriott veteran of 34 years Cleveland Outerbridge had been planning his next move for months, and may stay on at the hotel for essential maintenance after closure.

He said many long-time employees will simply take their redundancy money and retire.

Help at hand: Unemployment counsellor Dwanita Grant advises Marriott staff at a workshop designed to assist workers prepare for the closure of the hotel.