Log In

Reset Password

Plans for PLP's first anniversary victory bash raises questions over who pays

Plans for a first anniversary celebration of the Progressive Labour Party's General Election victory flew into a storm of controversy yesterday.

It is understood invitations have already gone out to heads of state in a several countries to join what is said to be billed as a "birth of democracy'' celebration.

But it is believed that the event will be paid for from Government funds, not PLP party ones.

Acting Premier Eugene Cox said last night: "There is something being planned -- but I can't give any details at this point in time.'' And Mr. Cox declined to confirm or deny whether the celebration was to be paid for out of taxpayers' money.

Shadow Finance Minister Grant Gibbons said: "The details have yet to be confirmed -- but it seems to me it would be outrageous to have a large event with money being spent on inviting people here.'' Dr. Gibbons added: "Clearly, we have had democratic elections since the constitution of 1968 and up to last November the voters decided the PLP weren't ready.

"It would ridiculous if, just because they have now been elected, they were to define that as a birth of democracy.

Taxpayers may pay for PLP's victory bash "We've had a very democratic process all along and the United Bermuda Party won consistently.

"To spend taxpayers' money on things like that -- when they have a lot of pressing problems like housing to deal with -- it seems very hard to believe and certainly disgraceful.'' Dr. Gibbons added that the UBP had calculated the cost of the January holiday to celebrate the PLP victory had been estimated to have cost $1 million in costs to Government alone.

He said: "To come along now and spend additional funds less than a year later is adding insult to injury.'' And he added: "We hope there really is no suggestion of this and that it will be denied by Government in the full light of day.

"This would clearly be a party expenditure which should be borne by the party.'' A PLP party insider yesterday said it was possible that, for example, Caribbean heads of state could be invited to Bermuda around the November 9 anniversary of the PLP landslide -- the party's first-ever victory at the polls in more than 30 years.

But the insider said there was no knowledge at party level of plans to pay for the bash -- suggesting Government funds will be used for the event.

The news came only days after a row erupted over a Government decision to send a team of Ministers and civil servants to the annual conference of the UK Labour Party.

Opposition Leader Pamela Gordon attacked the decision to use taxpayers' money to attend a party event as "inappropriate and unacceptable''.

And she said the use of civil servants -- including Director of Tourism Gary Phillips -- to man a special Bermuda booth at the conference compromised the impartiality and integrity on traditionally non-political bureaucrats.

And she pointed out that the Government cash spent on the booth would go to the UK Labour party -- whether Bermuda taxpayers wanted their money to be used that way or not.

Premier Jennifer Smith later announced she would attend the conference as well, to host a Bermuda reception scheduled for tonight.

The PLP as a party also sent a total of three official delegates to the conference -- whose expenses will be paid for out of Government funds.

But Ms Gordon said civil servants had been used to assist in arrangements for the PLP party group -- blurring the lines between bureaucrats and politicians even further.

Dr. Gibbons added: "We hope the British Labour Party conference is not the thin end of the wedge in confusing political events with Government events.''